It was a quick day in the field, with a detour in the lab. We continued our work on Test Unit’s 1 and 2 until the rain and wind threatened to take us out! Still, we got a lot done in the morning.
Some interesting artifacts and soil anomalies have appeared in our units. Because we are at the top of our units, the artifacts we are pulling out are mostly of recent vintage, though this is not always the case (see later in the post). Samantha found a child’s ring in Unit 1. (see picture) Inside the ring it said “Kiddiegem Sterling”. A quick online search suggests it dates to sometime in the 1950’s, and was popular in carnivals.
When the wind rose and the rain started to come down we retreated for the lab. There we organized our bags and washed our artifacts. There were a few surprises in
the artifacts we had pulled out. Perhaps the most surprising was this piece of Native American pottery we found in a shovel test earlier this week. It is net impressed, meaning it was decorated with a piece of fabric pressed against it leaving a criss-cross pattern. A closer examination will reveal its date range, though it certainly dates to between 3000 and 500 years ago.
It is common for artifacts of different eras to accumulate together when soil has been moved about at a site. From our preliminary testing, though, we believe that deeper excavation will reveal intact artifacts confined to a distinct time period. Below are a few pictures from the afternoon. We look forward to getting back to work on Monday!